We pride ourselves on being a diverse team of rail professionals who are highly experienced, competent and passionate in leading all stages of projects and programmes: from an initial concept of a requirement, through development and delivery phases, right up to handover and opening day.
About This Position
The role of the Construction Manager is to lead the construction phase of an infrastructure project, working on behalf of the Client, whilst collaborating with contractors, designers and stakeholders. The Construction Manager will offer construction and safety advice during all phases of the project, and ensure that physical works are carried out safely in accordance with SLC company procedures, standards (including Network Rail Standards), approved drawings and specification, and best practice guidance. This will be delivered whilst fulfilling a professional approach that adds value to the project through demonstration of specialist advice, proactive communications and maintaining excellent relationships with all stakeholders and clients.
- Working in liaison with other team members including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Planning staff to ensure regular, effective communication with the client and the Project Team.
- Manage the implementation of projects to the agreed targets and Clients’ satisfaction, ensuring the projects are delivered safely, and to the expected quality standard.
- To continually monitor project contractor’s levels of performance and hold to account for full compliance with health and safety legislation as required.
- Act as point of contact on construction and construction safety aspects of the project. Develop and maintain effective Client relationships with regular communication, respond urgently to any Client concerns and ensure improvement plans are developed, implemented and progress is shared with Client and wider team.
- Manage and pro-actively mitigate risks to contractual performance and total project delivery, including anticipated problems as well as programme delays.
- Identify and advise on implementing innovative engineering solutions throughout the project in liaison with the Project Manager.
- Monitor plans for health, safety, quality and environment.
- Undertake and manage specific risk assessments with regard to health, safety and environment.
- Ensure that projects comply fully with all statutory and regulatory provisions including HMRI and the CDM Regulations.
- Monitor work progress and compliance to specifications, relevant standards and AFC drawings and collate quality documentation and records as required by the contract, through witness testing and inspection and test plans as required.
- Liaise with the project team to ensure that project change controls are captured and managed accordingly.
- Attend project management reviews and construction team meetings.
- Review all method statements and work package plans, through to ensuing completion.
- Manage site activities and interfaces related to handover and close out of projects.
- Provide construction advice / input to other disciplines within the SLC team including resourcing of programmes, identifying and managing risk, undertaking regular site visits, managing Health and Safety paperwork and assisting in tender processes.
- Lead rail industry interfaces during construction activities with Network Rail, SFO, and TOCs.
- Compile daily site diary and undertake regular site safety inspections and report all findings to the Project and Safety Teams. Elevate major concerns to the H&S Manager and ensure all actions are closed out as appropriate.
- Pension Contributions up to 6%
- Life insurance
- Competitive annual leave
- Private Medical Insurance
- Income Protection
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work
- We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
- Safety Management training: SMSTS / CSCS/ PTS Desirable
- Holistic understanding of the overall project system and infrastructure to enable on-site clash mitigation and engineering decisions.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to manage workload ensuring successful project completion.
- knowledge and understanding of Rail standards, processes and procedures
- Knowledge on safety, quality and environmental procedures.
- A HND or Degree educated in a related subject (Civils, Construction)
Apply for this job
Fill out the application form below to apply.
"*" indicates required fields
Got any questions about this position?
We regularly recruit to our growing team. Contact us in confidence for an initial conversation - email or call 0121 285 2622.